Fun Stuff

Hey everybody,

Just thought that I would share something that I have found to be
interesting and fun.  One thing that I like to do with my JamMan is layer
loops that are in identical tempos but different time signatures.  If done
in a certain way, the resulting layered loop will be a rhythmically
complex melody which repeats itself once every time through the loop.  It
helps immensely if you have the ability to record long loops (I have 32
second expansion).

Example:  Record first layer in 5/4 playing notes or chords on beats one
and three and play this for exactly seven measures (35 beats).  Then
record a second layer in 7/4 playing notes or chords on beats one and
three and play this for only five measures (again 35 beats).  As the loop
repeats, beats one and three are coincident with respect to both patterns,
but as the loop continues the patterns diverge and then converge making
for a very nice sound.

I did this last week when a drummer friend and I were messing around at
his house.  I played this pattern using chords on my Stick (as opposed to
single notes) and then played other synthy sounding stuff in real time
above the loop.  About ten minutes into this thing, his wife came into the
studio.  "This is scaring the hell out of me" she said.

Try it,

Steve Murrell  -  Indian Rosewood Grand Stick #1202
smurrell@ford.com