A Short Introducion..

To Loopers Repeating Everywhere,
                                At Kim's suggestion I'm forwarding the
following text as a short introduction to any and all.....

              Dear Kim,

                        Greetings my name is Bryan Helm, and my wife
                        just contacted "loopers delight" to subscribe.
                        I am the looper in the house however, she likes
                        to do e-mail, and beat me to the punch as far as
                        contacting you.Anyway my musical partner Dave
                        Stafford turned me on to your forum, and I
                        thought I would enjoy swapping verbal signals
                        with other loopers. As a point of reference I'm
                        38 years old and have been looping since 1979. I
                        started with a friend of mine using a couple of
                        quarter inch half-tracks at 7and 1/2 ips
                        (Tandberg and an Otari) returning signal through
                        a Roland Space-Echo to control gain. We inputted
                        all kinds of stuff(acoustic piano,acoustic
                        guitar, found instruments, meetings) but mostly
                        electric guitar w/effects and electric piano
                        (Wurlitzer) and a Roland RS-09 string box, and
                        an ARP 2600. We did limited release cassette
                        tapes as "Cloud Silence" and performed in the
                        central Ohio area in 1980 and 81 at Art museums
                        and Coffee houses, record stores, wherever we
                        could. We would use a microphone stand to act as
                        a capstan and seperate the two decks by feet to
                        accomplish maximum delay between repeating
                        signals. We based the system on the
                        illustration on the back of"Discreet Music"
                        by Brian Eno. Having seen "Frippertronics"
                        and better yet, heard it, we wanted to tweak
                        our gear around as much as possible to access
                        "like" textures. In general we could get close
                        to three minutes of decay time with 5 to 10+
                        seconds delay between signals depending on
                        deck positioning. We always tried to get maximum
                        signal input levels to minimize the inherent
                        noise ratios that loopinging in an analog tape
                        format brings into play. We four tracked
                        forwards against backwards loops
                        (standard,double,half and quarter speeds) and in
                        general had a good time, studio and live.We
                        morphed into a trio that played with pretaped
                        loops and then a quartet with no loops. In 1984
                        I obtained an Electro-Harmonix 16 Second Delay,
                        and looping analog style( helped by a dead deck)
                        was over. Having run over the sequencer thru
                        space-echo combination probably one too many
                        times, the EH unit was welcome and stayed my
                        sole signal processing unit until I added an
                        old Alesis Microverb and a Lexicon Jam-man with
                        the 32 second upgrade in 1994. I use all these
                        to process a Korg DW-8000, a Roland TR-505 drum
                        machine, acoustic/electric guitar, and voice.
                        I do live and studio work solo, and with Dave
                        Stafford as "Bindlestiff"- A real time looping
                        duet using no Midi or clock interfaces for
                        synch.I've been listening to electronic music
                        since 1968 but would probably be best labeled
                        a techno-primitive in my approach to manual and
                        electronic technique.For me looping is a
                        wonderful means of accessing textures that
                        always amuse and sometimes amaze. I've seen the
                        tools advance in the last decade towards more
                        and more players that I hope will bring the
                        eloquent truth of good loops to more ears.
                        "Ambient" works are still my favorite style
                        of looping to play and listen to. I look forward
                        to reading more comments, and welcome dialogue
                        via e-mail with any loopers at the following
                        address:

                                        sarajanes@mdcs.com

                        Great to find this place in cyberspace.
                        I hope to visit the website later this week.
                                                      Sincerely,

                                                               Bryan
                                                               Helm