Re: Amplification

Teed Rockwell   wrote

>... Its easy to talk yourself into
>believing that it does, when you think of all the trouble the guitar amp
>causes,
>but in my case, I'm certain that they don't come even close.

If you have an ideal, the copy never comes close enough.
If you talk yourself into wanting to find out the ways of expression in a
cheap, handy, versatile gear, you may find that there are more than you
had, allthough all different.
It means relearning the instrument, maybe?
Or even disconnect from the sound tradition (of the 60ies)?

For me it happened when a high end speaker builder (Peter Gregor) listened
to all my problems of imitating "bad" speakers and finally said: "why dont
you just play your instrument with the truest signal that you can get out
of it?" So I started to play piezo pickup pure into linear system and found
the way to play it softly and liking it and later I started to modify the
sound with what pleased.

Well, Peter also told me that "bad" speakers produce low harmonics and that
the guitar players might like this aditional low bass. So I built the
POLYSUBBASS, a 3 string octave divider with "priority". Unfortunately, it
only works with polyphonic instruments. But there are ways to create the
effect from mono, too.

I may be wrong
Matthias