Re: Latin, and roots

> I think the question still remains from a few weeks ago. How did the
> technology driven approach get started? Who were the first ones to make
> tape loops? It seems there were quite a few people doing this by the mid
> late sixties, but where did they get it from? I've heard that the first
> tape delays were done in radio stations, but I don't know who or when.
>And
> who were the early ones applying it to music? For that matter, did it
> really start with tape? Was there anything before that?

I beleive that before tape looping, there were some radio engineers who
would scratch records to make them skip on purpose, thus creating loops,
and musique concrete was born.  Also, they used the wind-off groove at
the end of a record side to repeat things indefinitely.  I'm no expert
regarding this kind of stuff, but I bet that if you search for info on
Musique Concrete, you'll find some names of the first people to compose
with these kinds of materials.

-Jon