Re[2]: Rypdal?

Let me comment on your comments:

>  Terje Rypdal is a Norwegian guitarist who plays a combination of =
> styles including jazz, ambient, fusion, etc. which for me is kind of =
> hard to describe.

Right.  He dabbles in several styles - specifically, heavy rock-tinged
jazz fusion guitar (with distortion - kind of like a moodier Allan
Holdsworth),
Odd, formless tone poems or vignettes, modern classical music, and
sometimes
conventional four-on-the-floor rock instrumentals.

> His melodies are soft textured with ocassional course edges.  He has a
>very
> distinct tone and uses various effects including loops.

This guy is the master of the melancholy phrase as well as the master of
the
volume pedal.  He can chop out, too, but only if it suits the piece.  His
album
"Waves" was my introduction and it's fabulous.  It's some of the most
introspective and dreamy stuff ever, but still powerful.

> You really need to listen for yourself.

Definetely.  Pick any three records and you could be talking completely
different artists, i.e. pick up "Blue", "Whenever I Seem to be Far Away"
and "Eos" and each is radically different.

> In my oppinion, his best work is the CD "Blue" on ECM records.

This record is considerably more direct than his earlier work.  The
period from "whenever I seem to be far away", "what comes after"
"odyssey", "after the rain", through "waves", "descendre", "rypdal /
vitous / dejohnette", "to be continued", Barre Phillip's "three day
moon" album (which has Rypdal on it), "eos" are some of the most
wonderful, introspective stuff ever.  He took a weird right turn
after Eos and did "chaser", which was still wonderful, then did two
records that sort of removed the dreamy spatiality and were much more
direct.  But then, he went off and did "If Mountains Could Sing" which
were more like his earlier stuff.  Highly recommended.

> For more information on =
> Terje and a discography go see   "www.ecmrecords.com/ecm/bio/8.html"

Yep.

Todd Madson