TC Sustain and noise in general

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 KRosser414@aol.com wrote:

> Along these lines, anyone know where I can get ahold of a TC Electronics
> Sustain/Para Eq pedal?

I don't think they make 'em any more, and they're hard to find.  You
might get lucky, though.  I got mine a few years ago for $30, from a
local shop that handles lots of vintage and used stuff (really good
guy, incidentally.  "Somewhere in Iowa Guitars" at 319-362-2526.  Do
give him a call if you're seeking or selling vintage stuff.  He's a
very honest and knowledgable dealer).  He couldn't unload the thing
because no one knew what it was.  Considering that hissy, noisy,
pumping old MXR and Boss compressors next to it were commanding
vintage prices...

If you need a guitar compressor and find one, snatch it up
immediately!  Clean, smooth compression, parametric eq, noise
suppression and silent electronic footswitching in a bulletproof box.
I believe David Torn uses one as well, for the celebrity angle.

To make this relevant (it ties to the hum problem as well), ANY noise
in a looping system is a problem!  Besides hum, there are lots of
useful devices that tend to generate or amplify noise.  Compressors
and distortion devices are especially guilty of this.  And looping
noise is irritating and distracting.  Devices like the T.C. Sustainer
are invaluable in our quest for clean, quiet effects chains.

-dave

By "beauty," I mean that which seems complete.
Obversely, that the incomplete, or the mutilated, is the ugly.
Venus De Milo.
To a child she is ugly.
   -Charles Fort              dstagner@icarus.net