Compression Devices

For those of you interested in compressing a guitar signal in a way that
works reasonably well, try putting the compressor as close to the source as
possible. I found out the benefits of this arrangement back in 1980 when I
played one of those oddball Gibson RD model guitars.

In addition to having active electronics on-board (ie a preamp w. active
pickups) it had on-board compression and expansion too (circuit designed by
Bob Moog). The sound of this setup so ammazed me I bought one (ugly as it
was) and it has become my main axe for the past 16 years. The RD was
unfortunately one of Gibson's "Edsels" (a product too advanced and/or too
wierd for its time (or any other). It didn't take too long for it to slip
into oblivion.

However the electronics did live on for a few more years in other models of
Gibsons (LPs, SGs, and others) that had this as an option. One might try
vintage guitar magazine for locating something like this.

For those who do not want to buy a new guitar but might want the same
effect
(pun intended), you might try pestering the folks at my place of employment
(Seymour Duncan). Last year they "beta tested" some on-board guitar
electronics packages that included a compressor circuit (and some other
interesting things too).

They never made it to market because, in the end, they didn't think enough
people would buy them (even though they worked rrrrreally well). As a
matter
of fact I snapped up one of them myself and replaced the innards of my
trusty
old RD. If enough folks called, maybe they would reconsider the decision
not
to market the thing, and/or just perhaps they might still have a few of
those
beta units left around. It never hurts to ask...(just don't tell 'em I said
so okay?).

Ted Killian
killinfo@aol.com