Re: tools to create music

>So that very day (complete incredible acident, considering some more facts
>that led to the meeting) he had a demonstration for the Sri Aurobindo
>group
>and showed his "improvising instrument"
>It consists of a set of tuned tubes hangin around a hammer, that hangs on
>semi stiff plastic that is driven by a motor. So the hammer slowly comes
>in
>motion and the motions becomes aleatoric, playing a melody on the tubes
>around the hammer.

I still can't imagine what this looks or sounds like.....sounds fascinating
though!

>The thing was: We were laying on the floor around the instrument and
>listende to it for half an hour. I could never note any patern repeating
>but nevertheless started to feel the notes before they were coming!
>You probably know that feeling when you improvise with someone and you
>know
>him and you predict where the melody is going, and you think that you can
>predict it because you understood the guys musical thinking.
>But how is this possible with a machine? How does it really happen between
>people? This experience confirmed my improvisation seek:
>
>IMPROVISATION is a way to learn to get to the state where you can PREDICT
>or READ in the world documentation.

I like your line of thinking...what do you mean by "world documentation".

The word PREDICT seems limiting to me, because it implies analysis.  I like
to think that in the improvisational state, one merely FLOWS with what is
happening -- more synthesis than analysis.  After all, there's always
chaos, which prevents true predictability!

>Have a look at http://www.gilbertogil.com.br/taktak_0.htm

I tried this URL, but it said "URL not found"....

Chris Chovit
cho@gomez.jpl.nasa.gov