COMPRESSOR?!?!

> Matthias replied:
>
> >  Did you try to use the Plex' internal compressor for this? Its just a
> >  simple limiter, simple to access by simply overloading the input...
> >
> >  Matthias
> What internal compressor?  I guess I missed that in the manual!   Once
>again
> I'm learning something new from this list.

This comes as no small shock to me.  I didn't know there was *any* sort
of internal compression on the unit; I certainly didn't see any mention
of it in the manaul.

Also, as I mentioned not long ago, I've noticed a tendency towards rather
unpleasant digital distortion if the input is driven too hard (a very
common syndrome on practically any processor with A/D conversiion).
Again, this has been there since day one, and was mentioned in _Guitar
Player_ magazine's highly favorable review of the unit (I believe it was
the Sept. '95 ish, with Hendrix on the cover).  They remarked that the
input to the Echoplex was highly sensitive, and advised that a compressor
would be useful.  They definitely made no mention of an internal
compressor.

So please, if there is indeed an internal compressor built in to the
original software edition of the Echoplex, do tell!

--Andre