Re: Na Nice Lexicon Story

>But the funny thing is Lexicon told they won't support any warranty in my
>case. What i'm supposed to do is have someone repair it and pay. Just
>nice. I've checked on my warranty card. Nowhere is written that the
>warranty is void in such circontances.

International sales by US delaers is a subject of incredible controversy
at Lex
land, and I'm sure at many other companies as well. The reason is really
quite
simple: Every unit sold by Sam Ash or Guitar center is a unit *not* sold
through
the distributor. Which means he's losing money. Which means he's bitching.
Which
means they have to slap Guitar Center on the wrist. But wait, Guitar
Center is
GOD. You can't slap them on the wrist. So, what to do? Well, to cut down on
trans-shipping, the company policy is just what you've stated: They can't
offer
warranty service to a customer in France: only the French distributor can.
Which
means if you bought it from a French dealer, you'd be covered. But you
didn't,
so you're paying the price. Ugly, huh?

Ultimately, it boils down to an age-old problem: too many hands in the
middle.
(This results in several issues, not the least of which is price.) I had
suggested that Lexicon do a Cambridge Soundworks, i.e. sell direct. Cut
everyone
out of the middle. Yeah, it makes for a major shift in company structure,
but
let's face it: your customer support doesn't change. Who goes to their
dealer
with a question? No one. So why should they get 40 points (plus another 8%
rep
comission)? To put it on the shelf and not have a working unit? Then when
they
*do* demonstrate it, make a mockery of the product? (See an earlier
diatribe
about my experiences in dealer hell...)

As for the problems you're experiencing: The program select knob appears
to be
slightly problematic. Apparently there's an issue regarding this knob, the
details of which I know nothing, but I experienced the same difficulties
on my
Vortex, JamMan and Alex (all of which use the same pot). I thought it was
just
my prototypes, but apparently not... Word is, it's an easy fix, and they
turn it
around pretty quickly.

>Seems like when Lexicon decided to stop producing this thing, they didn't
>feel like testing and controlling any longer.

Actually, they were all tested ages ago: they've been sitting in a
warehouse for
many many moons...