Acoustic sound and looping

Dave Stagner writes,

> are there any fans of Balinese music here?

yes, here's one! I love Javanese Gamelan almost more though. Balinese music
is very dynamic and powerful, with many sudden changes, an extraordinary
kind of music. Javanese music is more steady-state, minimalist stuff, and
reminds me more of Jon Hassell's early 4th world music. I saw both when I
was in Indonesia a few years ago, and loved it. Have you ever seen Balinese
Jegog bamboo ensembles? They use scales with only 4 notes in them.
Incredible stuff, and very hypnotic and powerful when seen live.

I wish I could learn to play Gamelan but there are no ensembles here in
Cologne/Germany...

-Michael P