Re: tunings

Matthias said:

>These days I thought about tuning (Not an issue for me so far) and wished
>deeply a tuning with equal distance between strings so any fingering can
>be
>applied anywere. I tuned B and high E string a half tone up. It is
>marvelous somehow, much easier for the brain. But then again some chords
>become nightmares.

I've gone back to equal 4ths (EADGCF) and it's incredibly refreshing to
actually be able to reach all the notes!  All you guys who went to NST to
get
out of a rut, try retuning to OST and see how you've changed!!!

>From Dave:

> from lowest to highest:
>
> C   G   D   A   E  G
>
> Only the D remains from Old Standard, although you do have the high E
>(now
> on the second string).  And of course the G and C are LOWERED.
> This acheives perfect fifths across the lowest five strings...and you
>must
> then learn to deal with the anomaly of the high G (not hard with
>practice).

Why is that there??  Why not go in perfect 5ths across the board, eg
Ab Eb Bb F C G or F C G D A E?  It makes a lot more sense.

> 3) Forget about BENDING.  It will break strings, almost always.  (Of
>course
> you can get away with on the bottom 3 or 4 strings if you really want.

Are you using a 25.5" scale? I think that's why RF uses Les Pauls.  Mind
you
I have managed to get a 0.008 sting up to Ab (sorry, I can't find a hash on
this keyboard), and imagine you'd be able to get an A on a LP.  Bending
from G should be manageable, especially if you set your trem claw/springs
for it.  Of course you could always order 0.007's which Rotosound (I think)
make for Tony Iommi....

> can one express emotion through the guitar WITHOUT recourse to the
> blues/standard "emotive" sound of a bend?  if you WANT to bend, of course
> DO, in OST.  but in NST...there are challenges to be met.

Should a tuning be challengin, or should it be transparent?

> don't dismiss it out of hand.  and the irregularity in NST is far simpler
> and easier to overcome than the crippling, hand-it-down-for-centuries
>(lutes
> onward) oh-god-it's a fourth-instead-of-a-fifth "standard tuning"

The Viola de Gamba was tuned in 4ths, which goes back 400 years.  The last
carryover of this family is the double bass, also in 4ths.  Anyone know
about viols?

> it least in NST you have five strings, in sequence, in which scales are
> IDENTICAL and UNIQUE.  no having to worry when you get to that third
>string...

No, you have to worry about the 2nd!  :)

Mike
in the 52nd state