Re: MIDI Loops

Olivier Malhomme
>There is no way to multiply delay while playing but you can choose the
>midi channel for the loop, and anything can be changed on the fly
>(channel, delay time, repetitions, velocity: you can even have inverse
>velocity, no velocity difference, whatever..)

Hm... not while playing, but on the fly... I maybe do not understand "on
the fly".

And why would you change channel? You mean track, maybe?

I can imagine to have a one bar delay on one track and a 4 bar on the other
and while playing (or just on the fly?) I can change the track and add to
the one that corresponds to the actual "musical velocity" I am looking for.

And the delay keeps adding notes to the sequencer while recording?
Or do you apply the same delay again for "mixing"?

Jim comes in:
>Not difficult at all.  Many are already adding inline midi fx now,
>with delays (too short though, and no feedback), and transpositions.

Olivier has feedback! And how much delay time, Olivier?

>What I'd like in particular is that Digidesign add additive-cycle-
>recording to their DAE software so one can loop while recording,
>or at least if they'd publish the interface specs to their drivers
>so others can.

Very much so. Strange that Peter Gotcher, the creator of the enterprise,
said in an interview years ago, that he is interested in looping. I wrote
him twice, no answer.

>> Jim again, full of valuable experience:
>> >One can do feedback using Max, but the "code" to do that
>> >has to manually remove notes when their volume (midi velocity) reaches
>> >zero, otherwise the delay line can end up with a large number of
>> >notes that are not played, ultimately slowing down the system.

and a bit later:
>I may be able to dig out the
>essential delay component in the next few weeks.

aha! very nice! Why let your creations be covered by virtual dust?

And the sequencer delay has this problem resolved? Olivier?

Now Paolo comes:
>Max was designed to be used by non-engineers, so there are a fair number
>of users with no engineering background at all.  ...
>I think Opcode still considers Max too esoteric to port to the Windows
>platform, though.

They probably sold 10 or even 100 times more sequencers than Max. The real
thing would be with digidesign and audio sequencers like digital performer
or logic audio. But to get there we could discover a lot with Max.

>Max offers several objects that have the capability of measuring the
>time between two successive controller messages.
>
>> Does it require additional compiling soft or licence?
>
>I have not written my own, but my requirements were relatively simple. I
>know of an entire intepretive language encoded into a single Max object
>(the Pyrite object) because someone felt he needed it.

So the Max looper should be feasable. Who... ?

Maybe we are breeding on a product? Dont worry, I am constantely, even when
I make my Maracuja/Banana or Carambola/Umbu/Banana jam (mmmm...) Anyone
wants to import exotic natural jam from Brasil? What? Off topic? Ever
looped with a spoon in a pan? Jam session!

Sorry for my mountain of questions.
Matthias