Re: Samplers as loopers?

Matthias Grob wrote:

> ...I was amazed too, when I was looking for a looping
> device, to see that most samplers have all Hardware ready for looping and
> do not care to create the software. So in the future looping could be
>done
> either on multi effect machines, computers or samplers. And samplers have
> more memory than multi effects. But the pitch change should be without
>time
> change, right?
> Then I imagine it totaly shocking to be able to polyphonically detune
> immediately whatever happens on stage!

Although my sampler has a whole lot of memory (16MB), it is incapable of
modulating
pitch without a sample shortening or lengthening over time.  That is, if I
sample my
voice saying "Matthias" at middle C on the keyboard, playing it back at an
octave lower
would result in "MMMAAAATTHHHIIIAAAASSSSSS" in a deep beelzebubbish voice.
 Although, my
 sampler has a sample conversion function that will supposedly maintain a
fixed time for
a sample while allowing for pitch alteration, it is time-consuming and
absolutely not a
real-time stunt.

> >My old AKAI sampler had start- and end-point sliders that could be
> >reversed simultaneously during sample playback).
>
> I did not understand "reversed simultaneously". How do these features
>work,
> and what did you use them for?

Two sliders were on the face of the unit and were used to control sample
start- and
end-points.  Both sliders were identical and were situated one above the
other. Each
slider represented a value of 100 units (-50 to +50).  Now, here's the fun
part.
Depending on their positions relative to one another, either slider could
represent the
start- or end-point of the sample.  For example, with the top slider all
the way to the
right and the bottom all the way to the left, the top will control the
sample playback
start-point and the bottom will control the playback end-point.  Moving
the two closer
to the centers of the slider ranges, and therefore closer to one another,
reduces the
time of the sample and increases the triggering of the sample start- and
end-points.
Once the top slider is moved far enough the right, and the bottom one is
moved far
enough to the left, the two will cross over the zero start/end point.
Wierd metallic
tones are generated.  In continuing to move the sliders (top still moving
right and
bottom still moving left), the sample will  be "growing" in length once
again, but the
start-point will have become the end-point, and the end-point will have
switched to
become the start-point.  The sample will be playing in reverse.

I may have just explained something that is entirely elementary to
everyone on this
list in way too many words, but I thought I should clarify my statement
sent in the
previous e-mail.  In summary, what comes around, goes around.

> Thanks for joining and bringing new questions and answers
> Matthias

You're welcome ;)

Sean