Re: Why Vortex flopped...?

Andre writes:

>-- As has been commonly mentioned here before, the factory presets don't
>do the unit any sort of justice.  Not only is the selection of basic
>effects pretty tame, but the actual effects level is far too subtle to be
>noticed in a guitar store environment.  Like I said, there was little if
>anything in the factory sounds to suggest that the unit was capable of
>some of the things it can actually do; most of the stock patches sounded
>like a good chorus/delay unit with a lousy control interface.  The subtle
>velocity-sensitive bits and stereo panning details will never come across
>in Guitar Center, even under the best of circumstances.  And most of the
>preset pairs are so similar that I didn't even know I was engaging
>morphing most of the time.

When I first broght the unit to Vernon Reid, I went through the presets,
one by
one. He thought it was cool, but wasn't overwhelmed. Then I set up a
register
pair of Bleen and Fractal, grabbed the e-bow, held down a note and morphed
between-em. He freaked out over it. "Why didn't you show me this
first?!?!"  He
grabbed the guitar, and stated getting completely sick. It was great fun.

The sales staff at Lexicon have a tendedcy to believe in make everything
useful,
saily, right out of the box. An incredible time is spent on presets--and
when
you plug in nany reverb from them (from Alex right on up the line), you're
not
likely to have to do much alteration to find a sound that's right for what
you're doing. But Vortex is different, and I think you're right. The
presets are
way too tame, and that coupled with lack of MIDI (#1 problem) were the two
biggest oversights in the device.

As for other issues, I can only state, again, that when the engineering
management forces a package on the designers (in the case of Vertex, the
Alex
box), you have to make sacrifices. There's no bypass switch because there
wasn't
one on Alex. Nothing could be done. MIDI was not an option because of
price. It
was in the original spec, but taken out because of cost. Take it or leave
it.

In a lot of ways, there were people who made it impossible for the
marketing
team to really have any say over what would end up in the box. This is
what we
often referred to as "sales prevention". An ugly situation, which as near
as I
can tell, continues to worsen since my departure. Sad, really. Some really
great
ideas are simply being throuwn away, and very good people are getting fed
up and
leaving.

Do I sound bitter?