Re: Vortex again;;;

>GRRR! But i'm stuck with only 8 preset instead of 16....
>
>Grrrr again....
>
>Olivier Malhomme

<toc toc on the shoulder> Yes I know what it feels like to have to live
outside of US, speaking a wrong language, earning less, but paying a lot
more for the gear   -  (with 1$ i get 2 ananas or 30 oranges or 50 bananas,
though, hihi).

So what can we do to ungrrrr our good old friend?

Jon dedicated a long lament to you, in the end of october, a part of which
is:

>The program select knob appears to be
>slightly problematic. Apparently there's an issue regarding this knob, the
>details of which I know nothing, but I experienced the same difficulties
>on my
>Vortex, JamMan and Alex (all of which use the same pot). I thought it was
>just
>my prototypes, but apparently not... Word is, it's an easy fix, and they
>turn it
>around pretty quickly.

Since there must be one line, which we call the highest bit or MSB, that
switches between the lower and higher half of the programs, that one line
should be possible to detect:
Probably there are 5 lines going to the switch. One is the +5V and the
others flip when switching. The lowest switches every step, the next every
second, the next after 4, ...8,    and then the one you are looking for. If
it flips too, there is a problem on the electronic side, might be more
complicated. If it stays on ground (0V) there is a short cirquit along it
or within the switch. If its always at +5V the switch does not do its
action. In both cases, a solution can be to use a separate simple switch
that pulls that very line to ground and thus lets you select between the
uper or lower half of the programs...

And you will have a "customized" Vortex!

So stopp beeing angry, get your voltmeter out, unscrew it all...

Another way:
Jon: don't you have an email adress of a person a Lex who knows that bug
and would tell me? Certainly, exchanging the part is the serious solution,
but there usually is another one (as I experience here, living in the wrong
country, too) which is not much worse and causes less trouble and waste.

Matthias