Re: Anti-MIDI looping

>Hi Looping People
>
>I want to go into looping music. The 'Plex is a desirable machine (and
>I've
>an old Echoplex from the 60's), but I fear the MIDI headache. I hate MIDI.

You can hate midi all you like and still use an Echoplex, since you don't
need midi to use it! Same with the jamman. Both can be used just fine with
the front panel switches or their respective footpedals.

Both can also be controlled with midi if you happen to be among the
adventurous few willing to try such modern networking architectures.

And if you happen to be among the cynical few who hate midi because it is a
pathetic joke, ineptly kludged together by a decade of idiots too timid to
look around them and notice that modern networking technology passed them
by 35 years ago, and now forced upon the world forever by even bigger
idiots in Redmond, why then you can happily use your echoplex/jamman
without midi too.

(oops. where did that come from?)

>All my gear is pre-midi, I'm still using CV/gate, triggers, 24p clocks and
>FSK code.

Being a guitar player, I only use gear designed in the past 5 years or more
than 40 years ago. I can't relate to technologies from the 70's, so I don't
know what you're talking about here. :-)

The plex can sync to pulses, using the BeatSync input. Does that help?

>I'm looking for a simple and solid machine.

Probably the plex or jamman would be fine. The trick at the moment, it
seems, is finding either one of them available for sale.

kim