Re: MIDIFY yer VORTICES!!!

>he MIDI data may be in the form of program change commands, or
>note data and the trigger signal may be a positive or negative, level,
>or pulse, the duration of which is user definable. With the addition of
>a suitable lead, the device will be able to control all the inputs on
>the Vortex. The full spec. is as follows...

I'd considered building a device which would transmit program step
messages to the Vortex in an attempt to make it more programmable, but I
ran into some conceptual problems, and based on the description of the
very interesting KADI box, I'm afraid the problem might also apply.

Supposing you have a box with 32 switches.  Switch 1 corresponds to
preset 1A, switch 2 to preset 1B, etc.  You turn on your rig.  The Vortex
boots up to whatever it was last set to, say 7B.  If the hypothetical box
doesn't have non-volatile memory, it probably comes up to 1A, since I
don't believe there's any simple way to get the Vortex to send messages
regarding it's status.  So, you either set the Vortex to match the box or
vice versa.

This is where it gets difficult.  Say you're playing your first piece,
and the first Vortex patch you want to use is 1A.  You're grooving along,
until you get to a transition where you want to access, say, 9B.  You
press the 9B button.  My understanding is that you have to send eight
step-up signals, plus an A/B signal to get from 1A to 9B.  You can't just
have a dumb button that sends eight up's and an A/B, since the number of
signals depends on where you start.  So, unless there's something which
can compare where you are and where you want to go, and calculate the
correct number of steps and whether or not an A/B needs to be sent, the
hypothetical controller won't be that useful.

I think this would be a very specialized piece of gear, and it doesn't
look like the KADI box would fit the bill, wonderful as it may be for
many other applications.  I'd love to be wrong on this, so if someone has
a different way of doing this, please let me know.

Travis Hartnett