Boomerang: sample time vs. sample rate

G'day Motley,

Please take this as a vote for less time/higher sample rate.  From memory,
the Boomerang gives you ~30 seconds at 32kHz with the base memory config;
changing that to ...umm... e.g. ~20 seconds at 48kHz would be enough to
convince me to buy one when I'm in the US again in May this year.

Here's my criteria in choosing my (first) looper, which I'd guess would be
pretty similar to a lot of other peoples'.  For me, these are in decreasing
order of importance:
- sampling rate; must be CD-quality (44kHz) or close enough that I can hide
it in a mix
- cost (always close to the top!)
- simplicity and capability of real time controls; preferably via MIDI
- "extras" (backwards loop capability, cost/ease of expanding memory,
speed/pitch changing capability, likelihood of surviving stage mishaps,
etc.)

The Boomerang wouldn't make my list due to sampling rate.  It may well be
good enough in real life (as you suggest), but I've got no way of testing
that it would work for *me* at home, when I'm trying it out in a shop
environment.  Improve that and I'd be choosing between having MIDI control
and some extra features (on the Echoplex), and saving $US150 or so to spend
elsewhere on presents for my wife and child.  As I'll be leaving my wife to
look after our child for 2 weeks on her own while I'm travelling, guess
which of these choices will be made for me...?

Regards

Dave Mitchell, in the heat of the Australian summer

<Graphic image not retained>
mnelson@crystalball.com/HP-Singapore/mimegw34
03/19/97 11:03 AM