Re: You asked for it, and now you have it my friend!

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, nyfac wrote:

> Many have called me a sucker for thinking I can hear the effect of
> buffering in fx pedal, but I at least think it makes a difference.  It
> bothered me enough to beg a friend of mine to build me the world's only
> totally passive effects looper box when I was using ten pedals at a
> time.

Makes perfect sense to me.  It amazes me that some people will show
such serious concern over the circuitry of their tube amps and guitar
electronics, then run signal through buffers made from cheap op-amps
and electrolytic capacitors.  Impedance mismatch will introduce noise
and roll off highs (like electric guitarists would care), but it won't
add odd-order distortion or ruin dynamic range.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with a *well-made* buffer.
It just needs to be built to the sort of standards we expect from
amps and top-quality effects.

-dave

By "beauty," I mean that which seems complete.
Obversely, that the incomplete, or the mutilated, is the ugly.
Venus De Milo.
To a child she is ugly.       /* dstagner@icarus.net */
   -Charles Fort