Re: Chapman Stick/Jamman MIDI

Jesse G Kudler wrote:
> What is the Chapman Stick?  I see it mentioned around these parts all the
> time, but I have no idea what it is.  Is it just a regular guitar that's
> favored by looper types for some reason, or does it do something
> special?

  The Chapman Stick is a tapping instrument. It's got strings and frets
but is set up for hammer-on style playing - a technique that makes the
guitar somewhat piano like, in that either hand can play any note
without the other being involved. They come in a variety of
configurations, but I believe the standard instrument has 10 strings.
They don't look at all like a guitar.
  Another related instrument is the Warr Guitar, named for it's creator.
These appear very similar to a solid body guitar, but are optimized for
tapping. I think the most common version has 8 strings. This is what
Trey Gunn uses when he plays with King Crimson. Warr Guitar has a page
with temptingly goreous pictures at http://www.warrguitars.com .
  By the way, Trey Gunn is a Boomerang Phrase Sampler owner. Sorry,
couldn't stop myself.

-- ==  Motley  == --