Re: Sustain

Matthias:

>Sure I tried it, years ago. There are problems I did not have the patience
>to solve:
>
>1 To keep the correct phase for any note is not easy.

I'd thought of using the middle pickup purely as a sensor for the sustainer
(which prob'ly won't work - see below.), which is nearer the driver (neck
p'u) and less likely to have phase problems.  However, the root marmonic
should always be in phase over all pickups (by definition) - it's the
extent to which the signal is dominated by the upper harmonics what's the
problem, which is why I thought it would be better to use the mid p'u.  the
bridge p'u is all harmonics, which is probably not ideal.

>2 To drive, you need power.

Yes, since the magnetic field is related to the current flowing in the coil
(Lenz' law?  Jeez, I should know this - I tutor it!).  So a high-current
signal needs low-impedance pickups, which is why the Fernandez needs two
PP3s.

>3 The driver tends to feed back directly to the pickup. To avoid it, you
>need to limit its energy, make it more effective through filtering or
>build
>it in a specific way so it does not stray the magnetic field.

This is probably why the middle pickup is disengaged on the Fernandez when
the Sustainer is engaged.

>But... go ahead and find out!

Learn the hard way, eh?

Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes      Bioelectronic Research Centre, Rankine Bldg,
Tel: (+44) 141 330 5979        University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, U.K.
    "Wha's like us?  Damn few, and they're a' deid!" - Scottish proverb