Re: Cellists / Eberhard Weber

>It is kind of funny- most cellists don't seem to have a very eclectic
>aestetic.  Tough to get them into the rock/punk/folk/loop thing. In
>fact, it seems to be pretty hard to get anyone in to it... :)

I just came back from Rio where I recuperated a CD called "Amber" by David
Darling and Michael Johnes, made in 1987 (Narada ND-61014).
I loved it then and love it again. And it shows a very subtle and
"accoustic" way loops can be used on a cello.

I remember Electric Light Orchestra with two Cellist running around stage.
I thought it was ridiculous.

Cello is too fine for many music styles. It seams to change the head of its
player, too. It does not only make his hair fall out ;-) but tunes the ear,
probably due to the close neck and the rich overtone spectrum that opens to
higher things - nothing aproved, just an observation of mine.

I got a nice letter from Eberhard Weber theses days (he found a used Plex),
answered it carfully and was rewarded with his CD "Pendulum" (ECM 1518,
'93).
He plays his upright bass only and creates lots of loops with bass,
percussive sounds, high pitch melodies, with or without arc - a whole
orchestra out of one instrument, and *very* pleasant music, somewhere
between Jazz, Classic and New Age!

Matthias