Re: Sustain

>Matthias:
>
>>Sure I tried it, years ago. There are problems I did not have the
>patience
>>to solve:
>>
>>1 To keep the correct phase for any note is not easy.
>
>I'd thought of using the middle pickup purely as a sensor for the
>sustainer
>(which prob'ly won't work - see below.), which is nearer the driver (neck
>p'u) and less likely to have phase problems.  However, the root marmonic
>should always be in phase over all pickups (by definition)

One should think so. On the violin, the wave is running along the string,
out of the bow, maybe there is such behaviour from the driver?
Do the magnets shift the phase too?

- it's the
>extent to which the signal is dominated by the upper harmonics what's the
>problem, which is why I thought it would be better to use the mid p'u.
>the
>bridge p'u is all harmonics, which is probably not ideal.

I do not think the harmonics are a big problem, because you will want them
to appear, but not necessarily control. Isnt it fun when they come and go?
I think it would be interesting to have some phase shift (foot?) control,
to simulate the distance between speaker and guitar.

>>3 The driver tends to feed back directly to the pickup. To avoid it, you
>>need to limit its energy, make it more effective through filtering or
>build
>>it in a specific way so it does not stray the magnetic field.
>
>This is probably why the middle pickup is disengaged on the Fernandez when
>the Sustainer is engaged.

right!

>>But... go ahead and find out!
>
>Learn the hard way, eh?