Re: Zoom 508 delay vs. Steinway pianos vs. Klein guitars

The loop docs make some very good points:

At 10:53 AM -0700 6/4/97, mgsam@wave.net wrote:
>must take issue with this destructive notion that looping is largely in
>the
>realm of the studio.  We want equipment that words LIVE and in the studio.
>We are not happy with the mindset that produces technology that can only
>be
>accessed if you "have the instructions."

>We are excited about both the Jamman and Echoplex, however, at the same
>time, we are deeply disgruntled with the state of their ergonomic art (and

>In short, the Loopdoctors while not starving exactly, remain darn hungry
>when it comes to looper ergonomics.

And despite some keen and well made criticisms of their point of view, and
despite the fact that some of the criticism is directed at my own work, I
totally agree with what they are saying.

Loopers are in their infancy when compared to the development of the grand
piano or a guitar, or many other fine instruments. We should not be
satisfied that the ergonomics of looping instruments have been well solved
or worked out. We do have a long way to go!

That may be an important role for our little group in the looping universe.
How should this instrument work ergonomically? How can we make it better?
You have the ears of the most progressive designers in the field present on
this list, tell us what you think!

And as technology allows us more possibilites, the interface design becomes
even more challenging. Many ideas for what the next generation of loopers
should do have been proposed here. How will the musician control these
features? What will make them intuitive and easy to use expressively, like
guitars and pianos and saxophones?

kim