RE: Improving looper interfaces

>I said this before in mail to Motley, and I don't think it's a stunning
>revelation, but I think that selling looping devices to the masses
>requires in-store demo's of how to use the thing.  I play tapes for
>people of the live looping stuff I've done, and they think it's four or
>five people playing--they may like the music, but the "magic trick"
>nature of looping is invisible on tape.  If you have a musician show
>another musician how to use one of the Big Three, I'd say your chance of
>selling them a box goes up five-fold.  This requires someone who can
>adequately demo the product (which consists of more than playing some
>riff haphazardly into the loop and hitting "hold" and then saying "Now
>you can solo over it!") and answer questions.  This isn't going to happen
>unless the manufacturer pays someone to go on a tour of dealers doing
>clinics.

Lexicon did that well, at least the demo I saw in Frankfurt was convincing.
The LOOP delay was well demonstrated by Ljubo Majstorovic the year before
and I remember having seen Lexicon staff watching well  ;-)
I hope Oberheim will get there, too, and some of you guys get a job...

>Perhaps an instructional video tape, for $5 to interested parties?

Yes, yes! Old dream. We could even do animated graphics while the sound is
rolling to explain better what happens during the various functions, which
has shown to be very difficult in the manual (and even for myself, when I
try to imagine what the functions should do and how I can acomplish it).
Its hard to do time dependent scratch designs.
Once the user can imagine where things are stored in memory, the
understanding of the functions turn much more intuitive.