Re: Recommended Recordings

>Earlier this year there was a long thread of posts about recordings that
>loopers requested.  What new recordings do you recommend?
>
>(I really enjoyed learning about DJ Spooky from the last thread of posts.)
>
>Mark Kata
>Mark@asisoftware.com

One disc I like a lot, and have been meaning to recommend to this list, is
Ned Rothenburg and Paul Dresher's "Opposites Attract", on New Worlds
Countercurrents, 1991. Rothenburg plays alto sax, bass clarinet and
shakuhachi, and is mostly associated with the downtown New York improvised
music scene. Dresher is mostly known as a contemporary classical composer,
but he's also a guitarist who has experimented with tape-based delays a
lot. This record was recorded over several years, it started as a duet
project with both of them using a custom 4 track tape looping system
designed by Dresher. Eventually, many of these loops were transferred to
samplers, and compositions constructed around them, and other musicians
were added, including drummers Bobby Previte and Sam Bennet, and bassists
Mark Dresser and Anthony Jackson. While most of the players involved in
this project are associated with the avant-garde new music scenes, musics
that I really dig but I understand are not everyone's bag, this record
sounds more like the experimental instrumental rock of, for example, Torn's
last CD. In fact, in places it sounds like a funkier version of '80's King
Crimson, with a very resourceful reeds-player substituting for Adrian
Belew. Anyway, I've listened to this disc a lot over the last 5 years, and
it still holds up. Lots of very cool loops.

Also, I've been listening to some CD's on the Ninja Tune label. Very cool
atmospheric acid jazz/drum 'n' bass built around great funk and jazz loops.
In particular, I like the "Earthrise.Ninja.2" compilation, a very
reasonable priced 2 CD set that features about 2 1/2 hours of great stuff.
Also, Funki Porcini's "Love, Pussycats and Car Wrecks" is quite cool. One
piece is built around a loop of Ornette Coleman. Not quite as brilliant or
far-reaching as DJ Spooky, but in the same league.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra