Re: Lamelophones

I am actually playing loops daily with Bira Reis and he uses M'bira a lot
and it works great!
He keeps showing me books, pictures and original Lamelophones (this is the
scientific name, include the localy named M'bira, Calimba, Sanza,
Kissange...). The class is called like "digitized Idiophones". An
impressive variation in material, size and use. Some have a gourd as
resonator.
Yesterday (!) he appeared with a italian pianist who plays and collects
these instruments, too, and we looped them all. :-0

Impressive how strongly Lamelophones suggest loop music by the sound, the
manipulation, I dont know, I just see anyone grabing them soon fall into
some slightly changing pattern.

Bira sais they were made for long distance walks!

>I have made several mbiras over the years, amplifying some with piezo
>pickups. My favorite Mbira lately has been one I made with bamboo keys.
>The bamboo was a suggestion from Matthias. (thanks again Matthias!) I'm
>currently working on a tandem model for two facing players.

Oh, thats not me, bambo is strongly present.

It seams all Lamelophones usualy are played by the thumbs.
But I have a friend in Rio, Chandra, who plays them incredibly with four
fingers!
The instrument is not very ergonomical, due to the accoustic needs (yes
they had that problem before "gear" came up!)
I think it could be improved a lot once its picked up by a bridge piezo
pick up. Is that what you used, Preston?
Coincidentally, today I will receive the first prototype of a bridge to
mount piezos in a traditional Kalimba. This is a 3 years old dream. Nothing
really complicated, but until you find a mechanics and the tool... you
know.

Once everyone hears that the sound is fuller when solid body, we can create
new forms of the instrument, add weight near the end of the laminas to
create bass notes, arrange the laminas in a way that all fingers can get
involved in a relaxed position. I see the surfaces for the two hands
separate and angled... here I need pen and paper and sit together...

... I hope so far you got the message about the very oldest loop instrument
that can become the most modern and handy one!

Matthias