Music is best, indeed

Great recommendations all around!  It's amazing, when
one thinks about it for just a few moments, just how
wide the variety of loop-based music there is out there,
from Palestrina to Satie to David Torn.  Since being
on this list, reading other folks' personal techniques
and perspectives on other music out there, i find my
own ear has matured significantly.  I now tend to hear the
fundamentals hashed out in great detail here in music
i've been listening to for years, but never quite picked
up on the magic of it--"why does this piece have so much
impact for me?"  I'm just now beginning to answer that
question for myself a little more often, yet it doesn't
steal the magic from me.  A Cheshire grin finds its way
to my lips; it's a wonderful awakening.

Here are a few of my own recommends:

--Anything by Moondog, anything.  (Especially for you
        looping percussionists out there!)

--Nearly anything by Brian Eno.  Interestingly enough,
        though i am not a big U2 fan, i found the
        Passengers album (Eno, members of U2, Pavarotti,
        et al.) quite intriguing with each listen.  A
        new addition to my Having-Fun-With-Eno collection.

--JESUS' BLOOD NEVER FAILED ME YET, the Gavin Bryars
        Ensemble with Tom Waits.  I believe this has been
        mentioned on the list before, so i won't go into
        describing it.  Very surreal loopage.  None of the
        Big Three used on this record.

--POLYTOWN.  Stating the obvious, i know, but i was there
        during the sessions, so it's close to my heart.

--SLINGBLADE soundtrack, Daniel Lanois.  Using the Boomerang
        on this one quite a bit, i believe, and the man just
        knows how to get great tone out of his instrument.
        Likely to hear much more loopage and instrumental
        work on his upcoming solo release, which i hear is
        due out this fall.

--BIRDY soundtrack, Peter Gabriel with D. Lanois.  Don't know
        what they were using for loopage back when this was
        done, but it's a beautiful record.

--TOLERANCE FOR AMBIGUITY, Caryn Lin.  Many of you probably
        already know this one, since the owner of Alchemy
        Records is on this list.  If you don't, maybe you
        should.  Not exactly electronica, but superb
        musicianship with nice production work by David
        Torn.  Caryn's definitely got something unique
        about her, and i took to her music immediately.
        (Who else would appear both on that public radio
        show, "Echoes", and at the Finger Lakes Grass Roots
        Festival in up-state New York?)  She's a trip live
        especially (seen her 3 times so far).  For those
        in my area (Boston), i know she'll be performing at
        Johnny D.'s in Davis Square on 1 July for like a
        five dollar cover or something.  8:30p i think is
        showtime.  I'll be there.  (Last time i saw her,
        she had a jamdude and a plex in her rack.)

--They'll probably be too bashful to plug their own stuff, so
        check out Robby Aceto's record and both of Jon Durant's
        records, all on Alchemy.  (Yo Jon, what the hell were
        you doing behind a desk all those years, anyway?!?
        Practicing your chops between meetings?)  I hope i get
        to hear at least of these guys live sometime soon.
        Great stuff from both of them!  Very original loopage.

Off the top of my head.  I'll post more as i think of them and
when my boss stops giving me dirty looks.  (I have noticeably
better posture when Looper's Delight is involved than when
doing my own work.  Go figure.)

Keep the recommends coming!

Pete Koniuto

Music Library