Fripp Review

Reposted from Elephant Talk:

From: "Mascarini, Rick (CORP)" <Rick.Mascarini@Corporate.ge.com>
Subject: G3 Review: Hartford CT., 19th of June, 1997
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:18:40 -0400

Firstly, let me warn folks to get to the shows as early as possible if you
wish to experience Robert's Soundscape performance.  I suggest as the gates
open to whatever performance space you're attending.

Secondly, if you don't want to spoil your experience, read no further.

Thirdly, the review:

We (my wife and I) traveled from Saratoga NY to Hartford CT during the
afternoon thinking (no, knowing) that we could miss Robert's performance.
We arrived at 4:30PM with plenty of time to spare.  Our tickets stated the
show was to start at 7PM - I asked a parking attendant what time the gates
opened - 5:30PM he told us.  Enough time for a quick ride through Hartford
to find a coffee shop.  A bonus, Coffee and Bagels (with our favorite Humus
topping) fit the bill.

5:25PM back the Meadows Music Center and standing at the entrance we could
hear Robert starting a 'Scape' up.  Gates opened and onward to our seats.
About 12 rows back, dead center from the stage. Robert is off to our left
standing next to his guitar rig talking to a guitar tech for one of the
other bands, who is tuning/repairing someone's instrument. People are now
starting to mill in - not many, everyone thinks the show is starting at
7PM.  Every now and then, Robert picks up one of two guitars and adds more
to the loop or morphs it a bit more. There appeared to be some technical
problem whenever Robert tried to use certain effects like panning w/Delay:
the sound system would overload the soundscape causing tremendous
distortion - it was to plague the performance throughout the day.

Robert would play for short periods of time then put the guitar down and
walk off to the side of the stage to take the sound in, talk with stage
personnel, have a drink and survey the audience (what there was of one.)
There probably wasn't more than one hundred people there. At one point I
believe he was talking w/ Bill Forth (Ten Seconds fame) as he is acting a
tour manager for Robert during the G3 tour of the US.

One amusing item (at least from our point of view - probably not from
Robert's) was during a part where a new guitar part was being added to the
loop, Robert stopped and moved toward the front of the stage to kindly ask
two maybe three security guards who were talking up a storm to move their
discussions elsewhere. This appeared to have put them off guard and they
did stop for a short period of time.  But they persisted and moments later,
Bill Forth walks out in front of the first row of seats and again, asks if
they would take it somewhere else. After what appeared to be some very
interesting discussions/looks between the guards, Robert and Bill Forth,
they finally moved and went their own ways.  Robert then sat back down and
applied more sound to the 'scape'.  Now this went on until about 7:25PM
until finally Robert picked up his personal belongings, a guitar and left
the stage to a small round of applause. By this time the crowd had grown to
7-8 hundred and most were unaware of what just took place during the
preceding two hours.

Fourthly, the music:

Such splendor hearing these soundscapes live !!  They take on a form all
their own.  We put our feet up on the seats in front of us and just let our
thoughts take us. So peaceful at times, so terrifying at others and
everything between.  During parts of the performance we'd walked around to
gauge the sound and effect from different points in the
amphitheater. Robert would build up walls of sound from chords played in
rapid picking fashion across his guitar then allow the delay to transform
them into washes of voice-like whispers. Similar, yet different to various
soundscapes that are available through DGM. Overall, minus the one
technical problem I mentioned earlier (and the interesting
Security/Performer interlude) an outstanding two hours of guitaring !

During each of the G3 performances (Sheppard, Vai and Satch) Robert could
be seem standing in the wings bopping along to a song or two from each
performer's set. Joe Satriani's set being the most interesting of the three
(main G3) performances given was quick to introduce the main principles,
including Robert, for the encore - a romp through blues based guitar club
band mainstays: "Goin' Down", "You Really Got Me" "Red House" and "My
Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama."  Robert coped the good 'ol Hammond B3
organ parts, quite tastefully I might add - throwing the audience for a
'loop' (no pun intended!) - and adding a few surprises in as well.  At
times a bit difficult to hear in the mix, but still fun and all seemed to
be having a grand time.

Finally, a conclusion.  See the soundscape performance for yourself - a
personal moving experience and one I wouldn't have missed. Be sure to
arrive early enough as we did, like I said, I knew (a feeling) we had to
get there early. I will make a point to see future performances of
Robert's, whatever the setting.  It's a matter of trust.
"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry." Frank Zappa
John Michael Beard
http://www.flash.net/~jbstudio