Re: Bassoon Uber Alles

> >But the end result is the same.  The solo ends up set in stone, to be
> >recited in an identical manner with each new performance of the music
> >whether it be a pop song or a classical piece.  With a few exceptions
> >(there are always exceptions) the solo does not change.  This
>contradicts
> >your earlier assertion that the pop solo always changes.
>
> In my experience, the converse is true.  Except for things such as the
> first solo in Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb", solos (and I suppose that
> I'm speaking of guitar solos at this point, since I haven't been able to
> recall a significant number of keyboard solos in pop/rock) are winged
> each time.  Maybe they start the same, or there's an ending lick that it
> moves towards, but usually not.  One of the things that I, and the
> guitarists that I've run into look forward to in a solo is the chance to
> make something new on the spot.

This is probably more true pop music from the 70s or earlier.  More recent
pop solos that I have heard live are reproductions of the recorded
versions.
You might recall a recent complaint by Eric Clapton that not enough players
today in rock are willing to solo in a truly off-the-cuff manner.

> >> Think about the amazing amount of attention that guitarists pay to
> >> solos--why is that?  In pop music, a solo may only occupy 10% of a
>song.
> >> 90% of the time a guitarist is playing rhythm--why so much energy
>spent
> >> on considering solos?
> >
> >Is this truly unique to guitar players?  How about sax players,
>keyboardists,
> >and other soloing musicians.
> >
> Pop (non-jazz) keyboard players, on the other hand...I don't know.  I
>was
> hoping that some keyboard players (those who view keyboards as their
> primary instrument) would speak up regarding this.  Kim, as always, is
> quick to defend non-guitar music from the Six String Klan, but I think
> even he is more of a guitarist than a keyboard player.

I too hope a keyboardist will speak up because none of the keyboard players
I have met were particularly interested in soloing in a pop context.
Maybe in a jazz context but of course we're not talking about jazz here.
Bass players I've met tended to be more impressed by a good bass groove
than ripping bass solos.

My guess is that because guitar is the featured instrument in rock and
pop (sorry, I can hardly tell the difference), the guitarist is
expected to solo more than the keyboardist.

> Someone, I believe it was Kim, said that he enjoyed the more ego-free
> attitude in dance/electronic music, and while I'm opposed to excessive
> ego in any field, I've never been entirely convinced of the stance of
> synth humility.  The whole "all solos are masturbatory, boring and
> needless" is as groundless as "all dance music is boring, repititive and
> needless".  I'd prefer that guitarists have less self-importance, and
> keyboard players have more, to reach a happy mean.  Although, as far as
> can tell, the Age of Shred has been gone for some years now, and the
> guitarist who wishes to flount his technical ability needs to go to the
> independent labels that cater to metal.
>
> Please, keyboard players, speak up.

Might I suggest the keyboardists in electronica _do_ solo, but not in the
way you'd expect to hear them?

Paolo Valladolid