Re: ring mod signals & Re: marimba, kalimba, steel drum sounds

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Erik Ljones wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> >Try putting tiny alligator clips on your strings at various positions.
>You
> >can get some weird ringy/gongish/percussive sounds depending on where
>you
> >place the clips.  I purchased a pack of 12 clips at Radio Shack for less
> >than 4 bucks.  They come in different sizes but I went with the
>smallest.
>
> Since english is not my native language, would someone be kind and
>explain
> to me what an alligator clip is? Is Radio Shack some kind of an
>electronics
> dealer...I was wondering where in Norway I should go to look for
>something
> like this.

"Alligator clips" are small devices for holding electronic parts and other
small things.  Do you know what a clothespin is?  The things you use to
hang wet clothes up to dry?  It's like one of those, only smaller and
metal.  It has a number of teeth for a gripping surface and a strong
spring.  You can get them at any store that sells electronic parts.  They
are used for making test equipment and stuff.

> Also, I finally got ahold of a decent ring modulator w/ a multiplier chip
> in it. It has two inputs (no internal oscillator on this unit), so I was
> wondering if any of you guitarists out there have any ideas for signals
> modulate my guitars with...I'm into the concept of creating new and
> interesting sounds with a guitar, so anything unusual is especially of
> interest.
> As for the not so drastic use of a ring mod, I probably should get an
> oscillator that can generate all the simple waveforms. Where & how can I
> get something like this without having to spend all my money? Any advice
> and/or suggestions on this would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

How about an old analog synthesizer?

-dave

By "beauty," I mean that which seems complete.
Obversely, that the incomplete, or the mutilated, is the ugly.
Venus De Milo.
To a child she is ugly.       /* dstagner@icarus.net */
   -Charles Fort