Re: It could be a new looping device.

At 2:52 PM -0400 10/25/97, Dpcoffin@aol.com wrote:
>Here's two things I'd like to see:
>A  device that outputs MIDI control data based on all kinds of LFOs,
>one-shot
>triggers, sample-and-hold patterns, random number streams, and audio input
>levels, either automatically, under foot-pedal control, and/or in
>response to
>audio signals on their way to whatever monitoring device they use. This
>would
>be something like the control section only of the Lexicon MPX-1, but
>wouldn't
>process or create audio, just spit out MIDI control data. You could
>connect
>it to any sound source or processor or MIDI matrix that was under-spec'ed
>in
>this way, without having to buy an MPX just to get access to sophisticated
>controller software.

I think most people who want to do nutty midi tricks like this just use
Opcode's Max. Put it on a used powerbook, and you're off. I'm not sure the
extent that you can interface it with actual audio events, but people have
written and amazing assortment of objects. No doubt some interface with the
mac's audio hardware. I know I've seen Max dsp objects that work with
audiomedia cards.

advantage of max is you program it, so it's uniquely your thing and you
don't have to be confined to someone else's ideas, or their need to make a
profit.

kim