Re: looping drums,samplers etc.

At 10.10 07/11/97 -0000, you wrote:
>The recent talk of samplers, and the hope that others are thinking along
the same lines brings up a few questions. How many of us spend most of our
time fiddling with bits of gear at home, trying to improve the quality of
our music ? Our main instruments ( guitars, keys, sticks and the like )
don't pose too many problems when it comes to knowing what sound we're
looking for ( whether we get it is another matter.. ) and we're fairly
familiar with the gear required. But say you want to record some drum loops
? Not just your crappy drum machine but the kind of loops that sound
realistic ( DJ's Shadow, Spooky, Krush, Torns's last CD all have great drum
sounds - where'd they get 'em ?) I once sampled ( using the 2.5 sec one
shot
sampler on my Digitech Tsr24 ) the drum fade out  on the first Black
Sabbath
album ( 'Behind the wall of Sleep' I think ) and then recorded both that
and
a loop from the guitar onto tape. The outcome was infinitely more pleasing
than most things I'd done using an Alesis D4 drum module. The 'real' drum
sounds made my efforts sound almost, well, 'real'.
>So, anyone want to discuss the gear required to bring the rest of our
>music
into the real world ?
>Adat ? Da88 ? , Samplers ?, Computers ?, Emagic,Cubase ?
>
>All the best
>Andrew

Hi Andrew

For drum loops in my compositions (no real time looping) I use the PC and
some editing programs. With SOund Forge you have no limit in cutting,
stretching and altering the sound of your drum loops and samples.
More often I ask to drummers friends of mine to record on Dat  (but normal
tape works too) their grooves and patterns. Then I edit all on the PC.
Another thing I like to do is recording my Stick loops and then edit them
on
the PC, separating each loop from the others, changing the sequence,
processing and adding colours.

ciao
leo