Jon Hassell and other looping in London

     There seems to be some interest in Jon Hassell amongst the list, so I
     thought I'd mention last night's concert at QEH in London. JH
appeared
     with Bluescreen Two who were advertised as being Jamie Muhoberac and
     Peter Freeman, creators of an `electronic soundscape' amidst which is
     set JH's `plaintive trumpet'. There was also an uncredited guitarist
     (who may have been called Joe Harrison - the announcements were
     off-mic and difficult to hear from 2/3rds back) who made extensive
use
     of a Fernandes Sustainer (now I *really* want one of those) and a
     multitude of delays and effects to great..erm - effect.

     Whilst much of the music relied on repetitive phrases (with
occasional
     shifts in the patterns), it was intriguing to see that most of it was
     performed in real time. Despite all the technology in evidence, there
     appeared to be little `looping' as such. Percussion sounds were
     triggered from what looked like an over-sized boomerang (NB the
Native
     Australian hunting tool, not the dedicated looping device), `played'
     like a standard keyboard, but with (presumably) the ergonomic
benefits
     of it curving around the body.

     The material was similar in mood to the earlier 4th World albums,
less
     like the `City' and `Bluescreen 1' versions. Well worth viewing if it
     comes to a town near you.

     Also: At lunch time yesterday I saw the acoustic guitarist Antonio
     Forcione dueting with saxophonist Ed Jones. I think Matthias
mentioned
     before that AF has experimented with looping, but this is the first
     time I've seen him use it (sparingly) in performance. He has a
Paradis
     LoopDelay which in this situation was used to create backing for his
     solos on two numbers. Again, well worth a listen if you see them
     advertised near you (particularly if you like Jan Garbarek-style
     European, folk influenced jazz)

     Oh yes, and if you've got this far, I'll be back at the Croydon
     Clocktower on Nov 28th 7-8pm - free!

     Cheers

     David
     <http://subnet.virtual-pc.com/~or387751/>