The magic of Torn

Hi guys , I have a question about some of the sounds David Torn gets out of
his
equipment ( I know this is hard to answer , I`m just looking for ideas and
information).
And I hope this is not off-topic , but ;  Torn makes these huge, lush ,
organic and warm/ugly carpets of sound that lies way back in the mix and
sortof just envelopes the music. (I`m shure u know what I mean. If u dont,
listen to his cd "tripping over God".

Is this done with volumepedal and reverb/delay?? if so , how can he make it
move and change throughout the loop?? how long do u think these loops are??
5 secs or 90???
I mean , I dont understand HOW he does it , but those things are the main
reason I`m out there searching for a looper.Which I can`t find BTW.

I hope I haven`t annoyed you with my ignorance or started a debate which is
off-topic
(I have noticed that a lot of the postings are gear-related).

Yours truly , Thomas Woehni