Re: Sick Vortex.

>How easy is it to replace the encoder? I'm comfortable stripping
>down and replacing parts in machines, but I don't want to mess with
>the Vortex if it is sensitive or complex inside.

I just replaced the same encoder about a month ago, and didn't find it
very difficult. The important thing seems to be to have a fairly
high-powered soldering iron, in order to heat the existing encoder's
contacts hot enough to be able to pull it out. Someone with better
soldering/desoldering technique than me would have found it easier, of
course.

The encoder isn't too close to anything else on the board, so it's not
too dangerous to mess with. Like I said, I think I have pretty poor
soldering technique, but my replacement feels solid and works just fine.

Good luck!