Re: Top ten list

Pat Murphy wrote:

> Top 10 Currently in Rotation (not in any order)
>
> 1 Toy Matinee
> 2 3rd Matinee
> 3 Aimee Mann
> 4 October Project
> 5 Deana Carter
> 6 Twila Paris
> 7 Beatles
> 8 Phil Keagey
> 9 Freedy Johnston
> and a person can't listen to music all the time so #10 is
> 10 Seinfeld
>
> At 02:24 PM 11/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >In general, I tend to go through artists rather than specific pieces or
> >albums.  So here's a list of some I have been listening to in the last
> >week:
> >
> >Arvo Part
> >Annonymous Four (four women doing a hell of a job reviving medeival
>vocal
> >music - check out the English Lady Mass)
> >Jeff Buckley
> >Jeremy Enigk
> >Miriam Makeba
> >Sarah Vaughn (as always)
> >Cafe Tacuba
> >Fugazi*
> >The Make*Up
> >Mail Order Bride*
> >(*these three bands are my favorite DC-based groups...all of them have
> >websites so check'm out!!)
> >
> >And one more specific piece:  Carmina Burana by Carl Orff, the lyrics
>are
> >great and the drive of this piece is compelling.  I went through a phase
> >with this one years back and just picked it up again this week - worth
> >listening to again!!
> >
> >This list makes me realize I need to go on a shopping spree...

I was surprised to see someone mention "Talk, Talk's", last ever album,
"Laughing Stock". That album is one of the best ever rock ( Im unsure as
to whether or not the term rock really applies to the stuff they were
producing near the end ) pieces ever produced (IMHO:). Its highly
listenable, lush and full of rich and well placed tones form both a
guitar perspective and an orchestral perspective. "Laughing Stock" is
like an unintended means of closure to the radical turn their music took
in the later years. They were really a Great group that was never given
their full due credit.

Other ( Extremely Biased towards my tastes ) Faves:

Return to Forever - I think Chick C. said somewhere he knew he'd have a
tough time topping this effort. He said it was gonna stay with him as
the pinnacle of his musical style in everyones mind forever. I know I'd
kill to have an albatross like that around my neck.

Kate Bush - The Sensual World - Her last real album. Now everybody from
Sinead'Oconner to Tori Amos cop her sound better than Kate Bush does
Kate Bush.

Bitches Brew - We all know what this one was about and how its influence
is still felt today across many genres. See any Jazz based Hip Hop acts
source for loops and this is a standadrd bearer.

White Light, White Heat - Velvet Underground and Lou Reed at their
finest. "The most influential band ever", according to Brian Eno (
Reason: everybody who bought their albums started bands )

Murmur REM - Still arguably their best album ever. A Southern American
folky version of U2 meets the Byrds without a digital delay. Great stuff
that works beacause of the youth and sincerity of the band. They came
out of nowhere in 83 and quickly became critics faves.

Under a Blood Red Sky - U2 - Open Strings with a digital delay never
sounded finer. New Order is still jealous of where these guys took the
original Joy Division sound and even more surprised as to where they
finally abandoned it.

Discipline, Islands or Lizard - 3 personal faves of mine - one album is
restrained, subtle & underrated while the other is a free form freak out
with Fripp's legendary chops glaring at the helm. Discipline is
monumental for its departure from expectations and the Crimson history
per se. Discipline is killer creative leaping at its most refined and
chaotic - you gotta listen closely to notice that its spirit is no
different than all the rest of Crimso's efforts - its just a different
approach combined with 2 new faces executed to precision.

Passion - Peter Gabriel's Masterpiece

Trans Europe Express - U have this record hidden somewhere - even if
youre a metalhead :)

Laughing Stock Talk Talk

Avalon Roxy Music

Purple Rain - Prince - OK, OK, OK, Im a scorpio child of the 80's. What
else can I say ??? :) Prince is still the most exciting and possibly the
last & best pure pop/entertainer/performer we have left in the business.

Talking Heads - 77

P-Funk w/ Clinton One Nation under a groove. Hot Stuff !!!

Kip Hanrahan - any of his albums are woth a listen if u can find em.

Art of Noise - Paranomia - Loopded delights galore - All with the
Fairlight ??? If I recall.

Thomas Dolby - Flat Earth - highly underated.

Soft Cell's Non Stop Erotic Caberet - Pop - Pop - Pop - Synths !!

Bauhaus - 1979 - 1983 - Goth was tres cool and relevant back then.
Reagan and Thatcher were in Power. That in and of itself were
justification enough for Dooom and wearing all Black w/make-up. Daniel
Ash and Peter Murphy made it all sound better. Even Bowie liked their
Bowiesqueness - ck out the opening of the movie, " the hunger" and there
is Bauhaus.