RE: On being complete nerds (and longhairs)

Paolo said:
>Below is my top-ten rotation of CDs in my current listening.  It's funny
>that
>just a few years ago, I was under the influence of the UCSD Music
>Department
>in that I snobbishly avoided any music that I or the professors and
>graduate
>students would consider "not innovative/creative enough".  It's taken some
>time to open my mind and not be ashamed of liking the music I like. :)

Good for you!  Yeah, too bad about much of music academia:  self
confidence in
one's musical autonomy is constructed and deconstructed at the same time.
But
that's another discussion...

Great list!

>...8. Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition

>Not much to say about this classic.  ...

Allow me:

(The following is a peripheral-to-the-topic, Sunday morning introspection,
but
I do eventually get around to looping.  It is not nearly as, shall we say,
stimulating as a Butt Looper!)

Pictures:  I'm curious if you have a fave performance, Paolo - there are
so
many.  Although I do enjoy the orchestral recordings, I'm partial to
Mussorgsky's original score for solo piano.  (Loren Hollander's version is
exceptionally  dynamic and expressive, but unfortunately out of print.)
IMHO,
Ravel's orchestration was an extraordinary accomplishment, but I almost
think
something was lost - the original piano score's unadorned elegance and
starkness are less evident in more texturally complex orchestral
renditions.
 (Some critics are even less charitable about Ravel's effort, bless 'em.
Hey,
each to his/her own!  Would that our respective talents were all as
generously
endowed as Ravel's! ...Hmmm, that didn't sound quite right...)

So what does this have to do with looping?  Well, it got me to thinking
what
Ravel might have done with an electronically enhanced orchestra and
looping
devices/instruments.  Or Mussorgsky, for that matter.  Although for me, in
this
case, MM's composition and choice of instrument virtually define each
other.
 Anyway, seems like it would have been pretty cool.  (Remember Emerson,
Lake,
and Palmer's version?  Took a lot of b-, uh, guts to tread in MM's
enormous
footprints.  I lost that album, the vinyl kind, in a move long ago. It's
reissued on CD.  Wonder how it has stood the test of time?)

This brings up the related thread about compositional approach and
inspiration,
to which I'd like to add:

The differences between MM's original, and Ravel's interpretation
(independent
of one's personal preference or opinion) are excellent examples of the
challenge that all musicians face.  We continually make decisions,
consciously
and unconsciously, about the validity/necessity/success of each component
and
layer in our "audio collages" (yeah, great description).  For us modern
loopers, the relative profusion of tools that allows us to easily build
incredibly dense, multi-layered sounds can be both a blessing and a curse.
 It
is tempting to add more and more, because it's fun, and it's easy!
However, we
must be careful not to suffocate the unaffected freshness, vitality,
--rawness!-- that illuminate our expressions.  That's what inspired us to
create them in the first place.

laurie