Re: looping and Punk@!%!!

David Kirkdorffer intoned:

>I noticed very few Punk stylings in the inventories.  Now, I'm not
>trying to say Punk is good or bad nor do I care about definitions much
>(please, let's not go there...).
>
>But - are there any PUNK Loopers out there?

That's a curious one, but if you think about the entire image that punk
presented, it was one that was fairly minimalist; to say nothing of the
fact
that during its primary period, there were no rack units of the kind we
enjoy so much using, just stomp boxes/pedals.  The moment one stopped just
raging away and began fiddling with electronics - yes, even a tape loop! -
think it stops being punk, and begins being 'experimental', or any number
of
monikers we've all been stuck with at one time or another.  For this
reason,
I think, bands like Sonic Youth are mistaken at times for punk.

What I'd generally regard as REAL punks - people too busy playing fiercely
at just their instruments, snubbing their noses and otherwise giving the
Finger to 'established electronic sh*t' - well, maybe it comes from being
around New York City (sorry, L.A., it didn't start out West!) at the time.
Who knew?

But that's just my opinion.

Stephen Goodman           * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios
EarthLight Productions     * Get the Loop Of The Week Free!