Re: <STEREO>

Mark has a very good point (and some other cat posted
along the same lines a few days back-how many folks in the
crowd can actually percieve a lot of stereo effects?) but
at the same time, as I said, there are a bunch of Vortex
effects (like 3/7 echoes) which sound way more like music
if there are quarter note triplet echoes coming from one
place and septuplet echoes coming from another, not to
mention the possibilities for panning a lead a la Pete
Cosey.
I enjoy hearing an unmiked ensemble for many reasons, not
least because I can walk around the venue and experience a
varied mix/EQ. I think playing stereo can offer a similar
experience. I hate hearing a band where they use the PA to
overpower the room sound only to replace it with fake
ambience. If I use some stadium souding delay, it's to
make a point, not because I rely on the illusion that I'm
playing in a hockey arena instead of a dive bar in order
to sound cool.
BTW, after some inquiries at the joint I usually play, it
became clear to me that, though most consoles are stereo
capable, it is the setup of crossovers and power amps that
makes most small clubs mono only. I have no idea if this
bit o' info will do anyone any good, but I thought I'd
pass it along. Even though there may be matching speaker
stacks on each side of the stage, folks are not stereo nor
can they be w/o much more hardware.
--
Jeff Schwartz
jeffs@bgnet.bgsu.edu