Looking for a compressor

Hello loopers, I'm *actually* looking for a suitable compressor for
my drum'n'percussion loops (despite the recent threads on "lossy
compression" etc.). My goal is to even out some of my percussion
loops involving varying sound levels (e.g. shakers with cowbells).
I suppose that having better microphone technique could also
solve some of these *level* problems but as everyone knows,
things aren't always so controllable (i.e. self-control) under *live*
conditions!

I know that the dbx 166A is considered to be somewhat of a classic
device - but does anybody know about the new dbx 266? I've also
heard about a 4-channel compressor from Behringer but somebody
I know once made disparaging remarks about that company's
products? Anybody know better?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me :-)

And as they say here in Germany,
Tschuess

R_T_Cummings@compuserve.com