dsp based

<P><FONT SIZE=-1>This is part of the justification of&nbsp; KYMA&nbsp;
where you have a dedicated</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>external audio engine to execute your looping and signal
processing</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>programs.&nbsp; Systems like this and MARS have very
powerful programming</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>environments for the musician to design their own
performance
algorithms.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>More and more, development environments such as these
combine complete</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>flexibility in terms of your sound designs, and easy,
intuitive graphical</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>programming languages.&nbsp; (info on these systems can
be found at</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1><A
HREF="http://www.emf.org/sites/software.html">http://www.emf.org/sites/software.html</A>.)</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=-1>It's just a matter of time until most all of our gadgets
will offer some</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>level of this kind of interface.&nbsp; A significant
issue for me is, "what am I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>gonna do with it once I have it."&nbsp; For that reason
alone, I spend a lot of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>time on my powerbook hacking MAX/MSP.&nbsp; In
performance
I get more realistic</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>about stuff like looping and either cart a couple of
dedicated fast</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>computers along with me , or trim down the real-time
signal processing on</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>my notebook computer and farm it out to my Echoplex,
jam man, Boomerang or</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>EH16.</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=-1>In some cases, like making rich ambient textures,&nbsp;
the latency just desn't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>matter and it is a reasonable price to pay to be in
control
of more aspects</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>of what your signal processing device is doing.&nbsp;
We're certainly in a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>transition period between hardware and software based
models for our toys.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>It's pretty exciting.&nbsp; Especially in performance
areas like looping (which</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>isn't that "expensive" in terms of computer processing
and won't incur as</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>much latency as more complicated signal processing) this
technology is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>offering new creative, idiosyncratic opportunities for
musicians.&nbsp; It also</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>frees us from our traditional relationship to signal
processing device</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>makers where we can often grovel and beg for a simple
feature that would</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>make a world of difference to our music, but won't ever
be implemented</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>generally because it isn't important enough to the market
as a whole.</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=-1>cheers,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>crb</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;

<P><FONT
SIZE=-1>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>Curtis Bahn</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>iEAR Studios, DCC 135</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>Troy, New York,</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>I would have to agree with the opinion that external dsp based audio
systems kick butt in a general and nonspecific way, and that we are moving
away from obsessive software/hardware based systems...&nbsp; I'd have to
say that I'd sell out immediately to the first company that created an
audio system that was built like a killer-computer (dedicated to audio
processing) but incorporated both the physical design features and the
functionality of the audio equipment that all this PC/Mac stuff is trying
to emulate...

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There are a number of systems out there that combine
ISA/PCI cards w/ external rackmountable interfaces.&nbsp; The most exciting
of these that I've been blessed to look at and drool at is the Layla
system.&nbsp;
I'm not certain whether or not this type of system fits in to the same
category as KYMA or MARS, I'm guessing its just a bit less powerful than
these systems.... then again, Layla isn't $4000.00, so whats to be
expected.

<P>uh oh, my mind doth wander....me done fergot me point....... gotta go
to work.

<P>bye bye.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>