ambient & otherwise

Response to Miko Biffle:

>>Unfortunately, the human animal can suffer from the tendency to follow
>>sheep-like (or lemming-like). Ambient music has suffered from its
>contingent
>>of brain dead devotees, as has Fripp. Originally, ambient music was not
>>intended as a hypnotic tranquilizer (which looping inherently lends
>itself
>>to). It was meant as music which operates equally on different levels of
>>awareness simultaneously. Persons who assume that loopers are into
>ambient
>>music by default, are a type of bigot. But don't damn a style of music
>for
>>that.

>Does this imply that 'bad' ambient music has actually impaired our
>ability to
>perceive Mr. Fripp? How nasty of the mediocrities.

>I'm not sure how 'ambient' music was originally intended. Was there a
>group
>charter for the genre or something? Or are we now following sheep-like,
>some
>authority on the subject? I'd like to think that even the most unassuming
person
>who purchases *any* cheesy sounds to alter their environment, is somehow
taking
>a rather active measure to alter their experience somehow. Most
>commendable!

I'm not referring to good or bad anything. Even the herd-instinct has
value.
But,
like any other music form, heavy-metal, dance, whatever, ambient gets a bad
reputation
from a certain segment of the audience and performers who cause it to
stagnate. To get a feel
for ambient's original goal, Eno is always a good source. Ther are some web
sites
that feature useful quotes of his.

>Bigot? Let they without sin cast the first stone! Those mindless drones
>have
>infected us all... Animals indeed!

My use of the word "bigot" goes by its strict definition. It is not a sin,
but is indeed
a mindset (again by definition).

>>Fripp has always been an acquired taste. His explorations extend beyond
>>music per se. He has always questioned the audience-performer
>relationship,
>>and the effect of the music business on musicians. His actions at
>>performances are reflective of all that and probably more. He's never
>been
>>about being a "hot" player. The many comments I've seen here and
>elsewhere
>>asking why he doesn't "rip it up", or about him leavng the stage and
>>observing the audience, shows a lack of understanding about the artist.

>To believe that I don't understand the artist because I have preferences
>as to
what I might experience at a performance seems a little PC to me.

Again, by definition, if the preferences don't truly apply to the artist,
e.g. Fripp bashing out
"Lark's Tongues" at a Soundscapes performance (which I have seen emails
about in
other places), then it's a lack of understanding.

>I've been able
>to enjoy the vast differences in much of Fripps output. Fripp doesn't
>have to
>always rip, but if I shell out to go see him, I'm hoping I might get some
>tiny
>portion that which I know to also be alive somewhere in his soul as well.
After
>all the pendulum does swing both ways.

Fripp himself freely admits that there is no guarantee in regards to his
performances,
that anyone who purchases a ticket probably knows this, and if they don't,
oh well. I've
read correspondance he had with some one who complained so bitterly about
his responsibilities
to audience expectation that he sent them a refund on the condition they
never attend one
of his shows again.
Also, his soul definitely does come through his Soundscapes. It may not
rock, but it comes through.

>Did you study with Mr. Fripp or what?

Nope.

>I've found that as I've grown older, I sometimes have to cut to the chase
>little quicker than I used to. If I lack understanding about Fripp as an
artist
>because I hope to see him in a comfortable, non-combative setting, which
>might
>allow for undistracted listening, then so be it. Let me be 'responsible'
for my
>own listening experience without dictating to me. Maybe I'm just an old
>intolerant fart as well. Who am I to dictate?

I don't think the idea is to remove the rules, only to change them. And,
indeed,
he his assigning more responsibility to the audience.

>If lectures become a larger part of other artists performances, I may
>begin
>having a harder time enjoying them as well. Although I might actually
>pursue
>some artists due to their engaging communication style and content. I
>believe
>Fripp is starting to sound redundant to me at this point. Hopefully the
pendulum
>will swing again and I will enjoy many more years of delightful Fripp
>output.

Fripp will always be part teacher, I think.

>I find it somewhat totalitarian though that Fripp expects certain
>conformities
>from his audience without somehow realizing that his audience might expect
some
>regard for their needs as well. Especially having shelled out their
>ducats.

See Fripp for Fripp. Not what you need. You might get even more.

Reg