sampling rights

  Warning - this post may not be quite loop specific, but I thought I'd
  give it a shot....

  I'm currently putting together some material for a CD (self-financed, of
  course - what kinda nut would wanna...)  and some of it uses tape loop
  samples of pre-existing material (as well as turntables) like George
  Winston, Bing Crosby, The Story of Little Red Riding Hood...  Those of
  you who have seen my live performances know what I'm talking about.  It's
  pretty fast and fleeting, more of a "transient noise" than a theme for a
  piece  and I would think I shouldn't have to pay royalties or anything,
  but...  Does anyone know what Christian Marclay/John Oswald/Otomo
  Yoshihide/(hell John Cage for that matter) does.  Oswald samples probably
  around 200 songs on his Plunderphonics record and I'm wondering if he
  might've done anything more than just putting it out.

  I did talk to one CD guy and he said as long as your work doesn't eat
  into the market of the person you are sampling, they probably won't sue
  you.  Sounds reasonable.  Any idea loop-mates?

  ed