Loop Definition?

 I was wondering if anyone had a good definition of 'looping' for the
civilians out there. I'm talking about a concise explanation for people who
do not know what 'sampling' or 'multitrack recording' is. It is difficult
enough explaining to musicians who do not understand where all the sound is
coming from, much less someone who knows nothing of music technology as a
whole.
Just interested, as I have been in the position to explain it several
times,
and it is difficult without any reference points.
Thanks,
Dave Eichenberger
'Future Perfect' - progressive art music - visit our website at:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8082