Re: sampling rights

----------
> From: Kim Flint <kflint@chromatic.com>
> To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
> Cc: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
> Subject: Re: sampling rights
> Date: Thursday, February 05, 1998 2:29 AM, Kim Flint wrote:

> Many people who use lots of samples blatently ignore this, however. It's
> part of the culture of some scenes to take the samples without
>permission.
> This is now so common that most seem to get away with it. The risk is up
> you I guess.
>
> kim

Well,  As a victim of sampling (three incidents so far),  I've learnt to
be more
vigilant.  Of course, the people who have sampled my stuff are creative,
and
I believe they were using my material as a quote rather than as a crucial
element in their music.  In the past, I've done the same, "quoting" jazz
pieces
from the 1930s etc.  Let's face it,  If you absolutely have to have that
sound,
and you'd have to recreate the circumstances, technological limitations and
general atmosphere that was when, you would either have to be able to move
time and space, or give up entirely.

On the other hand, If I catch anyone using my music as a basis for a
piece,
and feel they would not be able to create anything of equal value on their
own,
I will get a lawyer on the case.

It has become quite trendy to pilfer from other people's music to make your
own.  When I got my first sampler back in the mid-eighties,  I was
concerned
with finding sounds from the real world to put to unreal use, not shopping
for
records I could steal from.

When the world ran out of sounds, I sold the sampler and moved on to
synthesis.

Looping is the best form of sampling.  You sample yourself.

When everything has been sampled, and people have to sample samples of
samples, I'm sure they'll have to come up with a new way for slackers to
make
music.

BTW, Oswald is an Artist, not a thief.  The same goes for Negativland.
They were quoting, not stealing.

Hope I'm making sense.  I've only had one coffee this morning. ;)

D 4 V 1 D    K R 1 5 T 1 4 N
jndk@colba.net
http://www.alien8recordings.com