Re: forefront etc...

>>I've been looping since about 1983, and one thing I've seen consistently
>is
>>the short attention spans manufacturers have for the subject. They
>dabble in
>>long delay times, find it is not yet the market they want, then lose
>>interest (Lexicon, Ibanez, Digitech, for example).
>
>They dabbled in these products and nobody bought them.....

That's basically what I said. I'm only noting what I've seen. I don't
condemn a company for what they consider a good marketing decision. This
isn't about good guys and bad guys.

>>If Oberhiem starts designing their delay units strictly for the
>>sampling/dance market, then the rest of the Looper world will once again
>be
>>stranded. Of course, that's business.
>
>I don't understand why you see these as mutually exclusive goals. Could
>you
>elaborate on that? To me they merge together quite well, with features
>from
>either side being attractive to the other.

Personally I don't see them as mutually exclusive. But once a manufacturer
starts to aim at a particular market, the focus of a product can become
extremely narrow. But, from your comments here, I'm encouraged that it may
not happen in this case.

>To me, drawing such arbitrary distictions between ourselves usually has a
>lot more to do with human arrogance and ego than anything else. We agonize
>over subtle differences of detail, just to prove we are not one of "them."
>We fear some association with the "wrong" crowd. My experience is that
>these
>walls harmed me more than they ever helped. The fear just keeps me
>shrouded
>in ignorance. The best things that ever happen to me come from finding the
>common ground and learning to understand and love the differences. I like
>encourage that attitude here. The diversity on Looper's Delight will
>regularly surprise you, so enjoy it!

All distinctions are arbitrary (Zen speaking). But are necessary to
function.

I've spent energy on this list myself responding to the
Fripp/drone-guitar/ambient-bashing I've seen here. I do enjoy the various
attitudes here, but that doesn't mean I'll leave them untouched.

>And it's certainly not good business to draw such boundaries and
>distinctions; you sell far more product by finding commonalities and
>joining
>markets together, not carving them up!

Actually, often it is good business. Specializing can be crucial to
suiccess
if not survival.

Again, I'm not for or against this. I'm mentioning what I've seen, and
expressing concern over its effects.

Reg