Fripp's loop technique

At 10:17 AM +0000 2/5/98, Brian Thomson, London UK wrote:

>>another funny thing. People talk about Fripp on this list every now and
>>then, but they almost never talk about what he actually does with
>looping.
>>think I know more about his looping from talking to him directly about it
>>than I ever learned from anybody here...
>

>When it comes pure Fripp looping-with-guitar, I swear by his "Bringing
>Down
>The Light", the last track on the Sylvian/Fripp "First Day" album, and the
>build-ups before his solos on Sylvian/Fripp's "Damage" live album. On
>both,
>you can follow which notes he's playing when, to see how he got there -
>which decreased my respect for him not one iota.

ok, sure, I could add these to my mile long list of cds to buy. But the
odds are sort of against any one item on that list actually getting into my
cd collection, so it could be years before I actually get any of these. I
guess what I'm really looking for is some deeper analysis of Fripp's use of
looping. A lot of you seem to be very knowledgeable about him, so what can
you teach me? What sort of approach does he take to loops? Does he have
some typical processes or techniques? How do loops relate to his musical
style? Is there some sort of purpose or underlying motivation in his use of
looping? Has he developed his use of looping in any particular way over the
years?

Non-frippheads want to know....

kim