Re: How to route multiple instruments, loopers, etc.

Len sed:

> First, we run the guitar and violin through any effects and preamps we
> want, so that we like the basic tone. Then, split the signal of the
guitar,
> violin and both vocals so that one "half" of each goes direct to the main
> mixer. Then take the "other half" of the guitar and my vocal mike, route
it
> to a little mixer, then to my Echoplex (which would be set all the way to
> wet) and then have my loopage got to another channel of the main mixer.
> Similarly, Cheryl's violin and vocal would go direct to the main board,
but
> also have them go to a little mixer which can be 'plexed (all the way on
> wet) and then run to the band board. At the band board, then, there would
> be 6 channels that a soundperson could control: live guitar, violin, and
2
> vocals, plus my loopage and Cheryl's loopage. We have a Quadraverb that
> could be used in the effects loop of the main board.

Channel outs, half-inserts, etc. can be pulled off the board and routed to
a little resistance mixer like the DOD, then into the looper, and then the
looper output can be run to a vacant channel.  You can also run the loopers
off free Aux sends.  If you use stereo loops this could eat up your Aux bus
real fast, though, crowding out FX units.

> Any recommendations on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Also, if
we
> did "split" the signals from our instruments and vocals, what's the best
> way to do that? Is there a relatively inexpensive "splitter" box? Or do
our
> individual mixers need to be sophisticated ones with all kinds of routing
> options? How do we not go completely broke with all this?

Jeff Beck uses a simple Y-splitter.  Morley has a passive ABY box that will
do it.  In my experience passive signal splitting is frequently lossy.
Active signal splitting can be done by routing the mono signal to a stereo
preamp.  If you have lots of signals to split, consider running them into a
stereo submix and sending the L and R of the submix (pan to the middle for
mono) to your looper and board respectively.

Last, expensive resort: see my recent post on the Switchblade etc.

You'd be better served by advice from smart people, though.  Anyone?

Scott